Unlike Windows Vista, there is no direct path to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 or 10. For that, you will need to first uninstall Windows XP and then clean install Windows 7 or Windows 10.
That’s the only option you have. Due to this hurdle, the process of upgrading to Windows 7 or 10 from Windows XP is a bit tricky.
Don’t worry here you have an easy guide to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 10. Once you understand that Windows 7 upgrading steps, the same will be applicable if you upgrade Win XP to Windows 10.
Things To Do Before Upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7
Before you start upgrading Windows XP to 7, there are 3 important tips to better complete this process.
Run the Windows 7 upgrade adviser
Not all system running Windows XP are strong enough to support latest operating system i.e. Windows 7, 8 or 10. That’s why it’s advisable to run Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser. It will let you know if your computer can handle any version of Windows 7.
If you want Windows 10 upgrade then this upgrade adviser will not work. So, in that case press Windows key + R to open Run in Windows XP, type dxdiag and click OK. This command will launch Windows diagnostic tool which reveals all components you have installed in PC. Here find the important info on the System and Display tabs
Check Windows 7 compatibility center
This app is different than the upgrade adviser. It will tell you what drivers or apps will require update, in case you successfully upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7.
Create A Back up
Always make a copy of your hard drive. In case ant thing goes wrong at least you will have backup of all important files. Any software that can easily create backup will be best for you.
How to Upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 or 10
Once you make sure that you have checked above mentioned things. Now its time to upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 or 10. The process is very simple and easy for everyone.
Run Windows Easy Transfer Tool on Windows XP
Get hold of an external hard drive and transfer all data i.e. files, settings, software, audio, and video files. Now unplug it and rename it because it creates less confusion. During this process Windows easy transfer tool will help you a lot.
If you are upgrading Windows 7 or 8 to Win 10 then you won’t need this file transfer tool. In these latest OS data is automatically restore in Windows.old File. You can easy revert back in these system if any problem occurs.
Insert Windows 7 Or Windows 10 DVD/USB Drive
Once you create a backup of your data, it’s time to install Windows 7 from USB Drive. These days Microsoft offers cd/DVD Disk images i.e. ISO image. When you download Windows 7 or Windows 10, Microsoft gives it in an ISO file format.
You cannot install Windows 7 ISO or Windows 10 ISO on your PC, instead, you will need to create a bootable USB drive. Once you are done creating a bootable USB drive transfer these ISO files on USB. Now you are good to go.
Follow these instructions:
- Insert Windows 7 USB drive or pop in Win 7 CD.
- Restart your PC and enter in BIOS settings. Change your PC boot order (i.e DVD drive or USB drive).
- It will start the Windows installation process, click Next, and then click the Install now button.
- Tick the box saying “I Accept the License Terms.”
- You will be asked What type of installation do you want? Click Custom (Advanced).
- Now click Windows XP drive and click OK to completely format. Now proceed Next.
- Now Windows 7 Installation process will start to wait for at least 30 minutes.
- Enter Windows 7 product key or Windows 10 product key.
- Give a proper user name and separate same to your PC
- Set a password, choose recommended settings, Set a time date.
- Once the installation process finishes, go to settings and find any pending update, install it.
That’s it now you are fully upgrade XP to Windows 7 or 10. You can use all features of newly operating system. See, how easily you upgraded you Windows XP.